Application Instructions, Methods, and Forms
Applications are submitted to the Office of Undergraduate Admission; applicants apply to one of the six undergraduate schools. Information regarding instructions and required forms for first-year applicants can be found on this page.
The following items are required by the relevant deadlines to complete a first-year application to Northwestern:
- Common Application and Northwestern University Supplement
- Secondary School Report (includes high school transcript and counselor recommendation letter)
- Teacher Recommendation
- Required Standardized Test Scores
- Nonrefundable Application Fee ($65)
The materials should be submitted to Northwestern's Office of Undergraduate Admission according to the instructions (PDF) in the application for admission.
In addition, the Bienen School of Music applicants are required to audition.
There are two ways for you to apply for admission, online or by paper.Apply Online
Both the Common Application and the Northwestern Supplement can be found at the Common Application website. You must create an account through the Common Application website before starting the application. If you are applying Early Decision, the Early Decision Agreement must be completed online through the Common Application website.
Apply On Paper
PDF files can be downloaded to print out and complete by hand, then submitted by mail. Adobe Reader is required to view these files:
- Application booklet (PDF). This booklet includes instructions, the Common Application, the Northwestern Supplement, and supplemental forms.
- Instructions (PDF)
- Common Application (PDF)
- Northwestern Supplement (PDF)
Please note that both the Common Application and Northwestern Supplement must be submitted in the same format (i.e., if you complete the Common Application online, complete the Northwestern Supplement online as well; if complete Common Application on paper, do the same for the Northwestern Supplement and mail in the same envelope.
An application is not considered complete until we receive the necessary supplemental forms completed by your guidance counselor and teacher. After downloading and printing these forms, please give them to the appropriate parties for completion before returning them to the Office of Undergraduate Admission. Northwestern also accepts supplemental forms provided on the Common Application website. (Adobe Reader is required to view these files.)
- Secondary School Report (PDF). Required of all freshmen applicants.
- Midyear Report (PDF). Required of all Regular Decision freshmen applicants.
- Teacher Recommendation (PDF). At least one recommendation from a teacher is required.
- Early Decision Agreement (PDF). Required for all Early Decision applicants.
- Online applicants: In most cases, the online Common Application allows you to complete and electronically submit an Early Decision Agreement form. If you choose to mail in a paper version, you must include all three written signatures (yours, your parent/guardian's, and a high school counselor's) to be considered complete.
- Paper applicants: Please enclose the Early Decision Agreement (PDF) form with your mailed application. Your form must include all three written signatures (see above) to be considered complete.
- International Supplement to the Secondary School Report (PDF). Recommended for international applicants only.
Admission interviews are not required and are an optional addition to your application for admission. All interviews are conducted off-campus by Northwestern alumni. For more information, visit our Admission Interviews page.
If you plan to apply using the paper versions of the Common Application and the Northwestern Supplement, mail copies of your completed Common Application and Northwestern Supplement, as well as any supplemental forms to:Office of Undergraduate Admission
P.O. Box 3060
Evanston, Illinois 60204-3060
For express deliveries requiring a street address, you can send materials to:
Office of Undergraduate Admission
1801 Hinman Avenue
Evanston, Illinois 60208-1260